A human centered designer engrossed in design research, service design and storytelling through design.
minimal-mockup.png

Visual Version History 2.0

Project coming soon

 Visual Version History 2.0

Duration: 2 weeks

Date: February 2019

 

Developing Visual Version History 2.0 for StrataMap

The Client:

StrataMap is a single source of truth platform for maintaining and sharing models. Designed specifically for large enterprises, government agencies and vendors, StrataMap exists to ease the pain of change.

The Brief and Design Challenge:

The brief called for a redesign of the version history 2.0. The existing design was implemented as an MVP and there were a few issues with the UX. The existing design showed version history in a dialog box that required the user to cross-reference between historical data and the current map. It also meant that seeing minor changes and adjustments to maps was difficult - like playing a game of ‘spot the difference’.

The Design Process:

The workflow of this project was carried out against an agile framework. This meant we worked under a short time frame and iterated the solution each time the client provided feedback. Similar as in a sprint, we individually brainstormed potential solutions and created individual wireframes before coming together to iterate the solution further.

The beginning -

The onset of the project entailed receiving the brief and conducting primary and secondary research of StrataMap’s products and other sites/tolls who also use version history. This helped us gather context, find inspiration and ask the right questions.

Iterating -

Similar to a design sprint workflow, the brainstorming and initial wireframing was conducted individually. We presented these initial ideas to the client as early as possible. From then on we were able to iterate and refine until we were ready to create a high-fidelity mockup using Sketch and Figma.

The solution -

Rather than creating an entirely new design to replace the existing, we identified what was/wasn’t working in the existing design. The current display of information in a table worked well for seeing an overview of the version history, but difficult to comprehend in context of the map. By simply shifting the existing data table to the side panel and implementing a timeline showing changes to the map, we added context and value to the design. Users would now be able to see where the exact changes were as well as who they were by.

Key takeaways & future developments -

The project was only 2 weeks and the assignment brief was heavily solution orientated. I would have liked to conduct observational research and user interviews to develop strong use-cases to support the design solution. On the other hand, a short time-frame meant I could adopt an agile/lean workflow which would be useful for future low-budget/short time-frame projects.

Fail early, fail fast. Creating low-fidelity wireframes to show the client was a key factor of this project. It ensured we were on the same page as the client and that the project was progressing forward.